Wednesday 13 June 2007

Mt Fuji

IMG_5992.JPG
Today was the day trip out of Tokyo to see Mt Fuji, otherwise known as a day out in the clouds. Another early start was followed by a coach journey up to Mt Fuji, which was shrouded by clouds on the side we were on, so much so that a trip on the roller coasters next to the lunch stop would probably have been more fun. After lunch we headed for next volcano over and the Hakone national park, complete with a lake within the boundaries of the collapsed cone of the original volcano, and a ropeway (trans Cable Car) up to the top of the newer volcano. Surreal moment of the day was the Japanese idea of pedalos - big pink swans including a full neck at the front, and the fake galleons doing business as tour boats.

A quick trip up to the top followed, which was a bit spoilt by the clouds rushing up to cover the view of Fuji, before heading back down to catch the bullet train back to tokyo. I think our guide was a closet trainspotter, since he was disappointed that we didn't hang around the platform to see some bullet trains pass. Still he did do a passable job as an origami instructor.

I brought my train ticket to Kyoto today as well, so I`m all set for the next leg, and hoping that I can find some wi-fi tomorrow, plus a way to charge my mobile, since japan works on 110v, and my charger wants 240v.

No comments: