Thursday 17 January 2008

Aloha from Hawaii


worldtour_5590.JPG, originally uploaded by mark benger.

I've survived the longest flight of my trip so far - 9 hours from Sydney to Honolulu (why I couldn't fly direct from Auckland I don't know) which together with crossing the international date line made Sunday a very long day - 47 hours of which almost 24 hours was spent traveling.
After the peace and quiet of New Zealand Hawaii seems big, loud and American (apart from all the signs in japenese for the tourists) so I'm having to get used to crowds again, as well as bing back in the northern hemisphere.
Did the main tourist thing today - Pearl harbor with its various monuments and museums. It's strange that only Japan and America appeared to take part in the Pacific war, since there was virtually no mention of any other of the allies.

No comments: